Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I've always been told I'm very like my grandmother . . .

But, I've never been sure if that was true.  I do know that I share one of her everyday concerns:  Is everyone eating enough?!

My grandmother dieted all her life, and had no problem pointing out if she thought you had gained weight, or could stand to lose a pound or two -- it was one of her main topics of conversation.

But.  If you showed up at the house, she wanted to feed you.  And at any family dinner, it was "eat, eat, eat!  Go back, get more!  Take food home!"  She loved to feed people and it worried her if you didn't eat enough.  Just one of the woman's central contradictions!

I'm the same way, but with the ponies.  Lilly hasn't had much of an appetite since she came, and yes, I know that it was a big environment change, and yes, many racehorses are finicky eaters, and yes, she may have ulcers that would make eating a little stressful, but darnit all -- I want her to eat!

And starting last night and this morning, she made me happy! :)

Hey, whatcha got?! Can I have some?





Wait, I have my own!  And it is soooooo yummy!

She ate her entire breakfast, except for maybe one bite.  I was so happy.  Then she came and let me pet her and snuggle a bit at the gate as I was going back to the house.

It's the little things.  And the journey.  And patience is a virtue.  I know, I know.  But, geez, I am so happy when they will settle in and eat!
We can share, right?  

No comments:

Post a Comment